Having an autistic child is not the end of the world--far from it. It is my hope that through this blog, at least a handful of people will get to understand that. My child is amazing, she brings us tremendous joy. We have good days & bad days, but we CHOOSE to focus on the good. Our belief is that by loving our daughter, giving her the most comfortable environment we can, and by most of all accepting her differences, she will continue to blossom--in her OWN way.

6/18/08

Jennifer Lopez Sings For Autistic Students

This is a pretty cool story:

NEW YORK — Students at a Staten Island, New York, elementary school for autistic children sure like the way Jennifer Lopez moves.

Teacher Kathy Amati and a paraprofessional showed the video for Lopez's "Let's Get Loud" to the students at P.S. 37. The children liked it so much, they wanted to watch it every day.

They learned the lyrics and the dance moves from the video.

With their teacher's encouragement, they wrote to Lopez, hoping for pictures or an autograph. Instead, she asked to come to their graduation.

On Tuesday, the singer-actress performed "Let's Get Loud" for a group of eight 10- and 11-year-olds at their graduation ceremony.



I applaud Jennifer Lopez for giving those children such a wonderful graduation gift! I also salute the teacher & para who brought music--singing and dancing--to these kids. Sounds to me that these are the types of teachers we need teaching our autistic children (perhaps something other educators could learn from). Also, it's nice to read a positive story on both school staff and autistic students.

I was so pleased to find out my daughter's school has weekly music therapy. That is probably one of her most favorite things from school. And, nothing fills me with more joy than seeing my little one sing and dance...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, there is nothing more wonderful as a parent than seeing your child happy. Also nice to read something positive.

Angela DeRossett said...

Thanks for sharing this story...she did a great thing.

S.L. said...

@ cs
I know, I love this story. I just posted a video from a local TV station.

@ Angela
You're welcome. Yes, I really give her credit.

Photobucket