Having an autistic child is not the end of the world--far from it. It is my hope that through this blog, at least a handful of people will get to understand that. My child is amazing, she brings us tremendous joy. We have good days & bad days, but we CHOOSE to focus on the good. Our belief is that by loving our daughter, giving her the most comfortable environment we can, and by most of all accepting her differences, she will continue to blossom--in her OWN way.

4/22/08

Earth Day 2008

PhotobucketI'm tired, so I don't have anything real insightful to post on this. Just a funny story:

In a gift shop today, my eldest alerts me, "Do not buy things that are made from animals!" I smiled at the statement, as it was only one of several declarations she made to me, on how I could be more green (most of which, I replied with "We already do that, sweetie."). I asked her why. She said "because it's from animals." I pressed her further, to see if she was just repeating what she had heard, or if she understood it it. I should know better by now. She then goes on to explain how animals suffer from it. Side note: to which I then add "well, that's partly why I don't eat meat." to which she adds, "WELL, no, that's not it, we NEED meat for that [to eat]!!!"

So, we continue walking through the gift shop. She looks down and says "THIS is animal," pointing to the rug (made from some type of animal skin). I told her "yes, it is." I distracted her by showing some of the decorations. We land on yet another animal skin rug (this store had at least 5 of them, and they appeared to be real--go figure, being there on Earth Day!). Now, she is getting angered. "Why would anyone make a rug from an animal? Don't they know they shouldn't do that????" I spoke in a low tone, assured her they probably do and maybe they were just recycling these? I also told her while it's good she has learned that lesson, perhaps this store wasn't the best place to preach on it.

She has a t-shirt declaring "Future President" and I have no doubt she will go very far. I've seen her advocate for her younger sister, debate adults on issues from politics to Barbies, and she always stands strong on her beliefs. This began very young, a few months shy of her 4th birthday, my husband and I took her to vote with us. While in line, she began chanting & singing songs about her favorite candidate. We promptly and gently gave her a lesson on campaigning at voting stations. My husband and I laughed at the thought of us getting kicked out because our preschooler was taunting other voters!

I will add--because I feel obligated to... My husband & I do all we can to be "green." We recycle, conserve water and electricity, use reusable grocery bags, buy organic and local, and so on. All of which, after today, my eldest is breathing a sigh of relief over. :)

No comments:

Photobucket